ancillary adj : relating to something that is added but is not essential; "an ancillary pump"; "an adjuvant discipline to forms of mysticism"; "The mind and emotions are auxilliary to each other" [syn: accessory, adjunct, adjuvant, appurtenant, auxiliary, subsidiary]
User Contributed Dictionary
EtymologyFrom ancilla "maid".
- Your arguments are ancillary to the central theme of this discussion.
- Finnish: kontrolli, linkki, yhteys
- Italian: subordinato , secondario , ausiliare
- Portuguese: subordinado , secundário , auxiliar
- An auxiliary; a subordinate.
Synonyms, Antonyms and Related Words
accessory, accompanying, additional, adjuvant, another, appurtenant, assistant, assisting, attendant, attending, auxiliary, coincident, collateral, contributory, extra, farther, fostering, fresh, further, helping, incident, instrumental, ministerial, ministering, ministrant, more, new, nurtural, nutricial, other, plus, satellite, serving, spare, subservient, subsidiary, supernumerary, supplemental, supplementary, surplus, ulterior